The Contact Assignment
The first eLearning lesson module should include an exercise that will establish the first contact between the instructor and individual students and be due during the first few days of classes. Ideally this activity should take place while students can still get some tuition refunded (3rd Friday after classes begin) if they (or you) decide to drop them.
The purpose of this assignment is to confirm that every student can:
- log into Blackboard or other course site
- understands how to get started in the course
- access their university email account
- overcome their technical difficulties
What’s it look like?
This assignment can be constructed in many different ways. Here are some examples of exercises that you can have your students do that will let you know they are ready to participate in your class:
- log into the course blog and create an introductory post
- create an introductory discussion forum post
- take a survey-type quiz that will let you know their expectations for the course, what their goals are, or their background experience
- have student take a pre-course survey which would then be given as a post-course survey to evaluate learning.
- do a scavenger hunt through the course that includes items from the syllabus (a good trick to get them to read it thoroughly)
- contact the instructor using social media tool that will be used in class like twitter or diigo
- have students create an account in a technology tool that you’ll be using in the course and introduce themselves using the tool