In the next few weeks, some faculty may notice a switch from “Google Hangouts” to something called “Google Meet”. The two are nearly identical but the change in interface might be a little confusing, so we’ve summarized some of the changes to help you stay ahead of the game.
- up to 25 simultaneous users
- invite students through a meeting code which you can reuse
- get meeting code through a calendar event
- get meeting code directly at meet.google.com
- currently only works in Chrome; other browser compatibility is in the works
- moderator needs to have a Google account to log in; users do not need a Google account (@alaska.edu or commercial gmail account) users do need to use Chrome to access meeting
- there is NO option to call the meeting with a phone unless you use the Google smartphone app