UAF eCampus is currently piloting the PlayPosit video interactivity tool in eCampus-supported courses. PlayPosit allows instructors and students to add interactive elements such as quizzes and discussions to an existing video. It can be used to add interactivity to videos that one does not own, making it great for highlighting sections of videos or ensuring that students watch curated supplementary content. It also integrates into UAF’s Kaltura Mediaspace video platform with videos owned or editable by the user. PlayPosit integrates with the Blackboard and Canvas grade books and provisions student accounts automatically. It is currently enabled for all eCampus-supported courses for summer and fall 2018 in UAF Blackboard.
This pilot is intended to explore the effectiveness and practical potential of interactive video in distance courses. Making a video interactive has the potential to allow students to better understand content created or curated by instructors. It also gives instructors a wealth of analytics on student engagement and comprehension. It has the potential to focus student attention on course media content through the creation of reflective pauses and appropriately placed questions. The pilot ends in June 2018 and is subject to a user limit.
For more information or to arrange use of PlayPosit in your course during the pilot period, contact Instructional Designer Sean Holland or attend one of eCampus’s faculty development events.
#Facdev Workshop Sessions
Sessions on this tool will be held periodically. Slide resources and recordings of past presentations are available below.
Connecting Playposit to Blackboard
One of the benefits of incorporating Playposit into your course is that it can be integrated directly into Blackboard. Watch this recording from an iTeach+ session given on 9/4/2018 to find out more. (47:16)
Getting Started with PlayPosit
This session gave an overview of the capabilities of PlayPosit. Watch the recording from the session on 5/31/2018. (1:00:37)
- Click this link to start the signup process: https://www.playposit.com/getIntoSchool/MTA2OA==
- You will see the following screen. Click on the “Sign In” button and enter your UA credentials on the following pages.
- Give PlayPosit the access it needs:
- Click on “New Bulb.” You should see the following options available. If you don’t see Kaltura as an option, refresh the page and try again.
- Start creating!
- Use PlayPosit’s fairly clear and complete documentation to learn more:
- Getting started: https://playposit.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/topics/78005-getting-started
- How to Build a Bulb: https://knowledge.playposit.com/article/62-building-a-bulb#premium-question
- has three autograded interaction types: multiple choice, check all, and fill in the blank.
- has one manually graded interaction type: free response.
- has two reflective/informational interaction types: reflective pause and web embed.
- has two collaborative question types: polling survey and discussion forum.
- sends students answers to the Blackboard or Canvas gradebooks in realtime.
- allows students to create bulbs, learner created bulbs.
- allows realtime delivery in a face to face classroom using the broadcast feature.
- features realtime chat between student and instructor.
- can merge several videos from different sources into a single bulb.
- can remove sections of a video or trim the ends.
- disable fast forwarding or rewinding by the viewer.
- can host video files itself.
- supports MP3 audio files natively.
- features a native screen recording tool, Fetch.
- can create multiple questions at one point in time, called chaining.
- features a premade library of public bulbs.
Slides: Getting Started with PlayPosit iTeach+
Known Issues & Behaviors
- It is not possible to test a bulb in Blackboard as a student preview user and successfully get grading data into the gradebook for testing. At the moment, PlayPosit sees those as the same account and will not export the grades correctly.
- The Broadcast feature cannot be done anonymously in accounts that are linked to our Blackboard LMS. Users must access the bulb from a Blackboard course to participate in a bulb using the Broadcast feature.
- The “Assign Bulb” option in PlayPosit is nonfunctional and will not affect Blackboard. Bulbs must be linked to a Blackboard content item and that must be done from within Blackboard.
- Allowing users to fast forward or skip through the playback of a bulb will also show the tick marks in scrub bar that denote interactions points.
- A summer beta release and future player version will allow the timeline length to update to the length of the cropped video. This update will also bring several videos used in a bulb into the same timeline rather than jumping between videos.